Friday, September 21, 2012

Supporting the Care Team

By Debbie Shaffer
Care team leader

Debbie Shaffer
Patient care has changed for me in the past five years. I transitioned from providing care to our patients in their homes as a registered nurse (RN) to managing one of our home-based care teams.

Now my main contact with patients and families is via phone. I love putting a face with a voice on the phone and hearing families talk about the care they’re receiving and connections they’re making with our staff. I also love it when I make home visits. Interacting one-on-one with patients and their families is truly an honor. It reminds me how precious and unique our work is. 

I believe that everyone on our team has the best interests of the patients at heart and want to serve others. Recently, it has been raining fiercely, but no one has complained that the weather has interfered with doing their jobs. They just do it because they want to help others.

My way of serving patients now is to provide support, understanding, compassion and guidance to our team. I think that if the team is well taken care of then the patients on the team are well cared for. 


No comments:

Post a Comment