Friday, March 8, 2013

Volunteer Gives Companionship & Support to Patients

Mary (left) and Donna play a game of Scrabble.
Donna Hayes loves a great Scrabble match and this afternoon it’s on. Donna, a Suncoast Hospice patient living at Sabal Palms Health Care Center, scores a triple in her game with Mary Foust, who volunteers with Suncoast Hospice. Donna prevails this day: 287 to 243. The two grew up playing games, and have fun playing together during their weekly visits.

“We enjoy each other’s company,” says Mary. Donna adds, “I light up when she comes. I love it when we play this game. I like a challenge. You gotta keep your mind busy.”

A Joyful Service

Mary has volunteered with Suncoast Hospice since 2003. She loves the organization and serving. “We have such a wonderful hospice with caring people. I’m always happiest when I’m doing things for others,” Mary says.

She visits around 12 patients each week at different facilities, including transition companion visits with patients whose deaths are imminent. She’s also involved in community outreach. She enjoys providing comfort and support to her patients in many ways, including writing letters, reading, praying, taking them outside or simply a gentle touch.

“A lot of my patients aren’t alert and we can’t communicate very well. But they like it when I hug or touch them. I do whatever they like,” Mary says.

Do you want to make a difference for others? See our volunteer opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment