Thursday, November 7, 2013

Suncoast Hospice Celebrates National Hospice and Palliative Care Month


By Deidra Woods, MD, FACP, FAAHPM, CMD
Suncoast Hospice Medical Director

Dr. Deidra Woods
November is National Hospice and Palliative Care Month: Hospice. Care on Your Terms. Palliative care is the medical specialty focused on the relief of symptoms associated with serious illness and hospice care is palliative care applied to patients nearing the end of life.   

I’d like to share what a privilege it has been for me to devote my medical career to this very special group of patients. The first reaction of my medical colleagues is usually, “Hospice does such a wonderful job. I appreciate all your organization does for my patients.”  But then they lean in closely, grab my arm tightly and whisper, “I don’t know how you could do that work.” I sincerely answer, “I can’t imagine doing any other work.”

Drawn to Hospice

Prior to working in hospice care, I practiced in Naples, Florida in a geriatric practice that supplied physician services to long term care facilities, including nursing homes and assisted living facilities. After about a year, a hospice nurse approached me in a nursing home and asked if I’d be interested in becoming a full time hospice physician. At that time in 1994, I wasn’t familiar with the concept of full time employment for physicians in hospice care. But her enthusiasm for her organization and conviction that I was suited for that work swayed me to interview for the position and I’ve been a hospice physician ever since. 

Rewarding Field 

The ability to relieve suffering and address the important issues and meaning of end of life are the greatest rewards in medicine. To my colleagues who are concerned that my work may be depressing, my answer is never. It’s ultimately the greatest feeling to know that I’ve helped a patient or family to have a meaningful experience as death approaches, with the patient as comfortable as possible.  

The loving care that families provide to hospice patients is an inspiration to us in our daily work. Our volunteers who provide countless hours of care and companionship to our frail elders remind us of the goodness and generosity of people. The courage that our patients and families demonstrate as they face the reality that life is finite and each day is a gift makes us thankful for our own blessings.   

The lessons I’ve learned at the bedsides of people whose lives are drawing to a close are the most valuable I’ve ever learned and have enriched my life immeasurably. Being allowed to share such intimate moments with families is a real gift.   

The practice of medicine itself is a very special career, made even more special when devoted to patients in hospice and palliative care. Please help us celebrate National Hospice and Palliative Care Month by visiting the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization website, nhpco.org.   

Have you been touched by hospice and palliative care? Tell us your story.


1 comment:

  1. I really appreciate your hard work and positive working working regarding your services. Hospice and Palliative Care Team is too awesome and they easily handle their work.

    ReplyDelete