Thursday, January 10, 2013

Patient Achieves Wish of a Lifetime

Effie shows off her book
Suncoast Hospice patient Effie Lindberg has had a special wish fulfilled; her memoir has been published as a gift to her family. Effie’s book, Memories: Life’s Treasures, was published by Wish of a Lifetime, a nonprofit organization that grants wishes to seniors.

Effie is a resident at Sylvan Health Center, which partners with Suncoast Hospice. She wished to do the book as one of her goals before she dies. It was created from her Lifetime Legacies journal, which she worked on extensively with Suncoast Hospice teen volunteer Christina Solazzo and then completed with a Sylvan employee.

Christina Solazzo
“It’s beautiful. I didn’t realize what a tremendous job it would be. I had lots of help. Christina is a precious person. She came in and went back and forth typing and editing. Everybody got interested in it and the Sylvan staff helped, too,” Effie said.

The Chapters of Effie’s Life

The book features Effie’s precious memories of her childhood and her life with her three children and husband, who served with the Navy. “My parents were absolutely wonderful. My sisters and I were so spoiled,” Effie said.

She also has a chapter dedicated to her longtime workplace, Alpha House of Tampa, which helps support homeless pregnant women and mothers with young children. “I loved the girls. It was a wonderful job,” she said.

Effie’s Suncoast Hospice Care

Effie is very appreciative of the care and support she receives from her Suncoast Hospice care team and her visits with the Suncoast Hospice teen volunteers.

“The teen group is wonderful. They’re dynamic and have lots of interesting things to talk about. I receive Reiki and it’s wonderful. My team comes in to make sure I’m in good shape and that I have everything I need,” Effie said.

Karen Olsen, a psycho–social team leader (PSTL) on Effie’s care team, is happy that Effie achieved her goal. “She’s a lovely woman. She has had an impact on a lot of people,” Karen said.

Do you have a story about hospice care you would like to share?








No comments:

Post a Comment