Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Physician Honored to Provide End–of–Life Care

By Catherine Covington, DO
Suncoast Hospice Physician

Dr. Catherine Covington
When I count my blessings, I often think of my patients and their families. I feel blessed and privileged every day to be a hospice physician – to share the lives of others at such vulnerable, challenging times.

When people hear that I’m a hospice physician, they ask me how I’m able to work in such a sad environment. I don’t see it as sad. I see and experience it to be an opportunity for love, joy and respect.

As our hospice care teams work with patients and their families, we often times see resolution of long conflicts and closure from difficult experiences and events. This leads to a more peaceful, comfortable quality of life before death. I believe this is what most people hope for, before they die.

I thank the community for allowing me to be part of such an incredible gift.

Dr. Catherine Covington is one of four Suncoast Hospice physicians who recently earned the hospice and palliative medicine board certification from the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS). The others are Dr. Kirksak Poonkasem, Dr. Tahir Hussain and Dr. Ruvan Wickramasinghe.

Are you interested in a career at Suncoast Hospice? View our job listings.

1 comment:

  1. parents of aspergers
    - TheCaregiverSpace.org is a free social network that allows caregivers to share their experiences, find critical resources, cope with stress and effectively combat the isolation and exhaustion of providing care for someone they love.

    ReplyDelete